Multifamily housing communities without an electronic key control system face lost productivity, wasted money, and reduced security. Here are three reasons why an electronic key control system is essential to any multifamily, student or military housing community:
Reason #1: Where are the Keys?
The primary issue with non-electronic key control systems is missing keys. Missing keys are a huge source of stress and conflict at any property. Here’s why:
– A potential resident is waiting to view an apartment home. You could lose the prospect if the key hunt takes too long. “I’ll come back later,” will likely never happen and lost prospects hurt your occupancy rate.
– An employee needs to inspect a unit or make a repair. Every minute spent searching for the key kills productivity and wastes money.
– A missing key leads to theft and assault in your community. Without an audit trail, your company could be held legally liable.
Properties that use an electronic key control system versus a non-electronic alternative are more efficient for those reasons and more.
Reason #2: Accountability
When there is no accountability, it is easy to shirk responsibility:
– An employee is working with a potential resident. Someone interrupts and asks where keys are. It’s easiest to say, “I don’t know” and go back to the task at hand. If the employee shifts attention or starts rummaging around for keys, he or she might lose the sale or do the paperwork incorrectly. Looking for keys is inefficient.
– That key might have been accidentally taken home. Best to keep one’s mouth shut and quietly return it the next day. Or the next time a showing is scheduled, which could be in a couple of days. Otherwise, a trip back to work to return a key will take away free time.
– Someone forgot to return the key and it’s in a desk drawer or left on a random countertop. This person is out on the lot, on lunch break, or got called away. Digging through the desk drawer or office will violate privacy; not digging will mean a lost sale or lost productivity.
– A vacant apartment home is left unlocked after a showing and is vandalized overnight. No one owns up. This costs money to repair.
– Keys are lost and truly missing. The property has to pay for a replacement, wasting money.
An electronic key management system can instantly reveal who last checked out a specific key. The system can also run a report of the key’s checkout history. Instead of hassling everyone, only this single employee is contacted. Employees will immediately understand that they are responsible for all keys they check out. A key control system creates a culture of accountability. A non-electronic alternative doesn’t.
Reason #3: Reporting
By running a report about key checkouts, managers can quickly answer the following questions:
– At the end of a shift and close to closing time, which keys are still checked out? Go round up any that should get checked in!
– How many times has a specific apartment home been viewed? Who has checked out the keys, and when?
– What is a specific employee doing? What keys have they recently taken out and why?
With HandyTrac’s reports, managers are more knowledgeable and able to make better decisions.
HandyTrac offers two excellent electronic key management systems including the new HandyTrac Touch Premium; featuring a large touch screen display and biometric technology for added security. Contact us for a quote and build a culture of accountability at your community today!